"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you
didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away
from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.


Explore. Dream. Discover."

-Mark Twain

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Alabama



Here we are anchored out with Ted and Nancy on "Aloha Friday" and Jack and Nan on "Eschaton" off the Tenn-Tom waterway.  We will anchor out for 3 nights, moving down the river. Our next Marina stop will be Demopolis, Alabama, where we will have the boat pulled out of the water to do some maintenance work.   The weather is progressively getting warmer, the days are hitting mid 70's, it is still dropping to high 30's at night. 



U. S. Snagboat, MONTGOMERY was the last steam-powered stern wheeler to work the inland waterways of the South.  She was retired in 1982, and restored, and is now on display at the Tom Bevill Visitor Center.


Overall length is 178 feet

Beam is 34 feet, 3 inches




The Tom Bevill Visitor Center was built in 1985 and depicts the time period between 1830 - 1860 in a Greek revival home similar to those built in the Tombigbee River Valley. the following pictures are a couple taken in the parlor, and impressive entry way.


The following pictures are an assortment of what we see along the river banks of the Tenn-Tom waterway.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim and Mary! For your birthday, Grandma June has a birthday toot, toot, toot.... yes, she had black bean soup for dinner, toot, tooot! Happy birthday to you Mary! The whole crew is hovering around the PC and checking out the cool photos! Ed saw his next home hanging over the river bank, yes he can afford the mobile home with a view of the river! Ed said, June is welcome to stay on the scenic overlook, from the top of the mobile home! One big happy family!
Speaking of toot, toot, nothing new with Eddie! Yuck, yuck!
Anyway, the whole crew wishes Aunt Mary a Happy Birthday!
Junie says Happy Birthday too!
Off to do homework!
Keep the fun stuff coming... we'll check you out soon. Good thing you're far enough north that you'll miss the hurricane, right?!
Be safe!
Hugs and kisses, Ed, Sue, Nick, Katie, Kristin and Junie!

Anonymous said...

Dear Aunt Mary and Uncle Jim,
I miss you! I hope all is well!
Happy B-day Aunt Mary! Me and Katie started travel softball.I hope you will be back soon!!!

Love,
Kristin

Anonymous said...

Hi Uncle Jim, and Aunt Mary!
I hope you have enjoyed your trip so far! Ther are 3 reasons why I wish I could be with you, 1-
I love you guys! 2- I could miss school, 3- I could go to the Keys and also visit all the awsome places you guys go. 4- I could be away from my family who blast off the toilet 24/7!!! I hope all is well! Enjoy your trip!!!
Love You,
Katie :)
xoxo
P.S Happy Birthday Aunt Mary!!!<3

Paula Sue Russell (Ocean Breeze) said...

Mary & Jim - Having just come home from the AGLCA Rendezvous in Wheeler Park, AL, I have been all over the website adding blogs of Loopers currently underway. I hope you don't mind as I watch your adventure unfold.

We are 'neighbors', so to speak, as we boat out of Bay Point Marina in Marblehead, OH (across from Cedar Point). We plan to start our Loop adventure the first of next August (2010). However, as I have read your experiences, I believe we may want to adjust our departure date to sometime in July.

As I type this, Todd has gone to the boat the help the Raymarine dealer begin installation of new electronics. I'm getting excited and beginning to realize the dream as becoming reality!

I now anxiously await your next entry regarding Ida and her upcoming landfall. Good luck and hopefully you are still in Dermolpolis (I think that is where your last post was).